Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Island born of Fire.. I juz love how that sounds! =D

Camiguin. Also known as 'Island born of Fire'. 'Barely 240 square kilometers in land area. Camiguin is the second smallest island of the Philippines in both area and population. ... ... Within this small area lie seven volcanoes.' (extracted from http://itsmorefuninthephilippines.com/camiguin/)

And so this is the Island that after much reading and flipping from cover to cover of the Lonely Planet Philippines guidebook. I decided to embark on my 16 days and first solo trip of 2014 back home. The main reason that I decided to come here was to pick up the Open Water Diver certification (like finally! =D) and that I wanted to do white water rafting in Cagayan de Oro and surfing in Siargao. So now you know my plans. =)

From Singapore it is no surprise that I took Cebu Pacific - it being a more affordable and budget airline to travel to the Philippines (not to Kalibo though. Tiger Airways does it cheaper. =P) Transiting in Mactan-Cebu International Airport. I changed plane to a propeller one to get into Camiguin.

Love how the plane is silhouetted by the sunrise.

Even though from Cebu it's only a 40 mins flight or so. I was able to fall asleep and I must say Camiguin Airport has one of the shortest airstrip I've ever landed on. The plane landed and had to brake hard and make a turn into this 'roundabout' area before coming to a complete stop. And it was all in like 5 mins or less! 

The 'roundabout' where the plane is.. And the red tentage area? That's our baggage collection area.

After much research and weighing out my budget. I'm currently staying at Camiguin Action Geckos Dive and Adventure Resort. A lovely place that reminds me much of Villa Mamarine in Squijor. I had a wonderful stay of 4 days in Villa Mamarine last year. And the vibe of this place is telling me I'm gonna fall in love with it too. =)


I had the Hibok-Hibok breakfast. Not sure why it's named after one of the volcanoes but ah well! =D Those triangle pieces in the center? Those are seasoned cheese. 2 pieces in pepper and 2 pieces in paprika powder. IF my tastebuds doesn't fail me. =) 


The black volcanic sand right in from of my room. On the beach. It's like freaking hot if you walk on it barefooted. Trust me. I tried. Coz I had to swim in the sea for my assessment to get my diving cert. Ouch!

That's my room right there. It's P2000 a night with attached bathroom. Juz that there isn't any aircon but juz a fan. I can survive it. Good deal and no worries. =)

And when I heard that one of the girls were going to the market. I told her I wanna follow over too. But too bad! I didn't meet her there. But I had a good time juz wandering the streets and popping here and there into the shops that interest me.


Fruits section.

And the seafood. There wasn't much to choose from though. Think the catch was bad today. =/

And I saw this in the supermarket! So I bought one of each. It's P39.50. I'm so gonna try it out when I get home! Or else. When I'm staying in Siargao coz that's a hostel and there's a kitchen. =)

I took a bike (pillion of course! But without helmet as usual..) to the market and that cost me P40 while the habul-habul (I think I got it right) only costs me P10 back.


I had/have to continue my mugging for my license. So here's a sunset to say good night for the time being! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment